When I saw these boards on Pinterest HERE I thought "how cool" and that I needed to make one for my grandma. She has 4 kids + 4 in-law kids, 16 grandkids + 8 grandkid-in-laws (what do you call them?), and 7 great-grandkids. That is a lot of birthdays to remember, and let's face it, she's not getting any younger! :) LOVE YOU GRANDMA!
She LOVES it! I surprised her with it and she was so excited she made me hang it up right away. She couldn't quit staring at it, and told me how she can't wait to show it to everybody. She almost brought it to our family bbq the next day. She'd wear it as a necklace if we'd let her... or if her neck could support it. HA HA.
Here's the breakdown:
My friend Kassey from Everything Nice 2 helped me cut the main board and all the vinyl lettering. Check her site, she has some of the CUTEST stuff!!!
Got the circles from HERE and using the smallest bit drilled a hole on each end.
Then spray painted them. I usually brush paint when I craft, but there were 39 circles, and this seemed A LOT easier and faster.
I spray painted the board burgundy and then applied the vinyl words.
Then I spray painted the board cream, and once dry peeled the vinyl words off.
Then I applied all the names and dates to the circles.
Used these screw eyes from Home Depot. I had to twist one open and hook them together and twist it back. Which really wasn't hard and didn't take long. I couldn't find hooks small enough (or in silver) for these. Besides, I think I like this better anyway, now if they get bumped or moved they won't fall off, yet they are easy enough to unscrew if we just-so-happen to add more kidlets to the family. (NO, that is not an announcement for me)
Then hooked the names together by month.
Then I sanded the main board to give it a 'distressed look'.
Attached the chains to the board...
And Wa-lah!!!
She loved it! And of course she then tells me that I need to get myself and my cousins to produce "20 more babies or more before she dies" so we can fill in the months that are lacking compared to the others... "Yeah, ok, I'll get right on that grandma! I'm sure my cousins would love to do that."

1 comment:
Wow Taryl I didn't know you were so crafty! Very impressive...
Post a Comment